Sunday 6 October 2013

CTC Blandford and Hazelbury Bryan

This ride could also be known as Kev's magical mystery tour. Derek has rather foolishly let me loose as ride leader so we could end up almost anywhere! However, I have a cunning plan I have enlisted the help of Dave B to assist me today and keep me on the straight and narrow and heading in the right direction!

I clear the first hurdle with comparative ease and get Kathy and I to the start point at Wimborne, even managing to fix a puncture on Kathy's bike en route. So at the start a little late but raring to go. I take the lead and we set off for Blandford and Cafe 65 where we will meet up with some of the others. It is quite a weird sensation leading a ride, you are very much more aware of your pace, the pace of others and become acutely aware of your surroundings. There is a very real feeling of responsibility and a desire to make the ride enjoyable for others so I am extremely grateful to have Dave B in support.

Bikes parked in the alley
It's the usual route out to Blandford and a steady and uneventful ride out. Although there is one unusual thing going on. Rod has a new bike, it is cunningly fitted with a battery back and a motor in the hub of the front wheel and it allows Rod to zip up hills with comparative ease.  The clever thing is that with the motor being in the front wheel Rod can still add power through the traditional method of pedalling - cyclings version of all wheel drive, very smart. So having chased Rod up a couple of small hills and lost we arrive in Blandford and coffee. Dave and I take the time to quickly talk through the next part of the ride while Kathy talks to John and Rosie about the Mallorca trip in the spring.




Bryanston School
Now the dilemma, do we break it to everyone now or do we just not mention Bulbarrow and Woolland hill. We choose to come clean and to our surprise we find ourselves still surrounded by willing cyclists, so before anyone can have second thoughts, we take off and initially choose the easier route out towards Winterborne Stickland. In doing so we once again pass the entrance to Bryanston School, in the last entry I listed a few of the schools notable ex pupils but a bit more of its history now. Bryanson is a fairly new school being founded in 1928 and the school motto  'et nova et vetera' (both the new and old) reflects the school's philosophy and teaching style. Bryanston is also one of the first English public schools to become co-educational admitting girls in 1972!

From here on we are almost continually climbing all the way to the view point at Woolland Hill, there are a couple of short downhill respites but it is approximately six miles of climbing. the Strava app on my phone classifies the first two parts of the climb as Cat 4's and the final ramp to the top as a Cat 3. So the stop at the top to admire the view is well earned. Allegedly you can see seven counties from the top of Woolland Hill, the sign fails to tell you what they are but I think I have worked it out - Dorset, Hampshire, Wiltshire, Devon, Somerset, Gloucestershire and Berkshire. Please correct me if I am wrong.



Kathy

Dave leads the Tandem and Graham

The view ....

....... too big for one photo!










At this point I think I should say 'Chapeau' to Cliff and Ann on the tandem for their sterling efforts on the hills, although we couldn't match them on the descents! I also need to add that it was great to see Rod out with us but by the end I was very tempted to take the wire cutters to the motor wire! There you are climbing like a pro (at least you are in your head) and past you comes the stealth bike doing about 20 mph. You arrive at the top a sweaty, breathless mess to be met by the perfectly groomed and gently inhaling Rod!! 


Dave starting the decsent

Barrow

Bulbarrow behind us!
Onwards  down a very fast and at times tricky descent passing Bulbarrow and the Dorset Gap before lunch at Hazelbury Bryan, well actually to be exact opposite the Antelope Pub in Kingston. We grab a seat on the picnic tables on the green and have our sandwiches and Dave and I check the route home planning to join the trailway at Shillingstone Railway Station where we can also get a cuppa. So just a couple more small climbs to do before our route home along the valley bottom. There will be some tired legs by the end of today and I doubt they'll ask me to lead again!!
Rod and the stealth bike
Ann and Cliff - still smiling!















We reach Shillingstone and stop for tea, soaking up the early autumn sunshine, before heading down the trailway for Blandford, Wimborne and on to home. It would appear that everyone enjoyed the ride and with some help from Dave I managed to lead my first ride without incident. Although I suspect that after all the hills everyone will be glad to see Derek back for next Sunday. 

They won't have to put up with me as I will be riding the 'Gridiron'.






No comments:

Post a Comment